Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU) is pleased to offer patients and/or their authorized caregiver’s access to their OHSU health information using MyChart. Participation in this service requires that individuals read and accept the following Guidelines for Use.
Guidelines for Use of OHSU MyChart
I understand that OHSU reserves the right to limit or discontinue my use of OHSU MyChart ("MyChart") if I do not abide by the following terms and conditions. At OHSU, an individual must be age 15 or older to request a personal account to access MyChart. For access to MyChart for minors under age 15, please see “Using MyChart on Behalf of Someone Else- Proxy Access” below.
Notice of Privacy Practices
OHSU is committed to preserving the privacy of patient health information. For more information regarding OHSU's legal duties and practices concerning health information see OHSU's Notice of Privacy Practices at:
Use of MyChart for Health Care Services
By agreeing to these terms and conditions, I acknowledge that I am requesting access to portions of my health information and the ability to communicate with my OHSU health care team concerning my health information via the Internet using an electronic application called MyChart. I understand that MyChart does not provide access to my full medical record, but just specific portions of it. If I want a copy of my medical record, I will contact Health Information Management at: 503-494-6288
I understand and agree with the following:
• The MyChart system is not a substitute for direct care.
• In case of emergency I should contact emergency medical services immediately. MyChart is not to be used in emergencies.
• I am responsible for updating my contact information, including my email address, in MyChart. I understand that if I do not update my contact information that I may not receive notification messages letting me know that my health care provider has sent me a message in MyChart.
• Contents of any message may become part of my permanent health record. I will not ask questions that do not pertain to my own health care.
• Since health care providers other than my primary care provider may respond to my MyChart messages, I understand that I should not send sensitive information that I would prefer to share only with my primary care provider. I will save such information to be shared at my next visit or call the clinic to speak with my primary care provider.
• I will not share my MyChart Username and Password.
• I understand that MyChart enrollment is contingent on verification of my identity in person by an OHSU employee or physician.
• I agree that OHSU may at any time, in its sole discretion and without limitation or prior notice to me, may cease providing the services or make changes to MyChart that may affect the functionality or available features.
• I understand that access to MyChart can be revoked at any time and for any reason by OHSU, without prior notice to me.
MyChart is a free service that allows:
(1) Messaging Between You and Your Health Care Provider. You and your healthcare provider can send secure messages to each other using MyChart. These messages may contain information that is important to your health care so you need to monitor MyChart or provide a valid e-mail address to be notified of when there is a message in your MyChart inbox. The notification messages in e-mails will not contain any health information, but will just provide you a link to MyChart so you can login and read your message(s).
When you send a message to your health care provider through MyChart, it may not be your provider who responds, but someone in the clinic staff will try to get back to you as soon as possible. You should allow at least three (3) business days for a response. If you need an immediate answer, please call the clinic directly.
A health care provider's ability to respond to MyChart messages is based on the information you provide. If you don’t provide enough information, the provider may not be able to give you an answer- or a correct answer.
(2) You to Make Appointments Online. MyChart gives you the ability to schedule or request appointments. It is your responsibility to request appointments appropriately. If you abuse the privilege or do not show-up to appointments that you scheduled using MyChart, your MyChart access may be revoked.
Using MyChart on Behalf of Someone Else- Proxy Access
Logging onto MyChart for someone else means you are acting as that person’s proxy. You may not access MyChart on behalf of someone else without his/her permission.
Individuals age 18 or older may request proxy access to another individual's MyChart account by completing the Proxy Access portion of the MyChart Consent Form and submitting it to the front desk staff at your provider’s office. Only one person will be granted proxy access to a MyChart account.
Only individuals with parental rights or legal guardianship over minors (someone under 15 years of age) shall be provided proxy access to that minor’s MyChart account. You will need to submit proof of parental status or legal guardianship to be given access to the minor’s MyChart account. Note: Minor MyChart access will not be as complete as the Adult MyChart access. Under State and Federal law, there are certain types of medical information that the parent or guardian of a minor patient age 12 or older may not view without consent of the minor patient. Because of these legal requirements, OHSU limits the MyChart information to parents of minor patients in this age category. When a minor patient reaches age 12, restrictions are placed on MyChart access until the minor reaches age 15. At age 15, the standard proxy access procedure (see paragraph above) must be used by parents or legal guardians or other adults requesting access to the account of a minor. To activate the access, a signed authorization must be obtained from the individual at age 15 years and older.
A MyChart account will be activated for both the proxy and the account holder. If the proxy's legal relationship with the account holder changes, the proxy must inform OHSU immediately by sending a Help Desk message within MyChart.
OHSU reserves the right to revoke proxy access at any time for any reason.
Notifications that you have MyChart messages are sent to the email address you provide. This means that anyone who knows your email and your password to your email account will be able to see the notification (there is no health information in the notification). If you use a work email address, this means that your employer could see the notification as well. If you do not want others to see that you have a MyChart message, pick an email address that only you can access and view.
MyChart Username and Password
I understand that I will create a unique identification code, called a Username, as well as a Password to be used to access MyChart. The Username and Password in combination will identify me in the MyChart computer system. The MyChart system will track whenever I log in using my Username and Password, send messages, or make entries to my health care record. If I am acting as a proxy for someone else, the system will record when I log in for the person for whom I am a proxy, when I send messages, or when I make changes to the individual’s health care record.
I will not share my Username or Password. If I do, I understand that that person may access my MyChart account and make changes without my knowledge. If I think someone has learned my Password, I can change it by clicking on the "Change Password" link on my MyChart Homepage.
Security and Confidentiality
OHSU takes the privacy and security of all health information seriously and is committed to protecting such information. In order to keep your information on MyChart confidential, OHSU:
• Limits its employees' access and ability to enter or view your information
• Uses firewalls, passwords, encryption, and audit trails
• Has taken steps to make all information received through MyChart is as secure as possible against unauthorized access and use, including providing unique Usernames and Passwords
For other than general information viewing, MyChart must be accessed with a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) compatible browser or terminal (Netscape or Internet Explorer versions 5.0 or greater). Our SSL web server uses authentication and offers the highest level of encryption technology commercially available (128-bit RC4).
You can tell when you are secure by looking at the location (URL) field. If the URL begins with https:// (instead of http://), the document comes from a secure server. This means your data cannot be read or deciphered by unauthorized individuals. Usernames and passwords provide two layers of authentication and are stored in an encrypted database that is isolated from the Internet. As a MyChart user, your role in maintaining the security of your medical information is: 1) Changing your password on a regular basis, and 2) Keeping your login ID and password confidential.
OHSU may ask you to complete a patient satisfaction survey on MyChart so that we can provide better service. If you respond to the survey, your answers will be anonymous and will not identify you. Survey results may be combined into a larger report, but the report will not include any information that could identify you.
Waiver of Liability
I agree not to hold OHSU or any of its directors, employees, consultant, or agents liable for any loss, injury or claims of any kind resulting from MyChart messages. I understand that OHSU takes no responsibility for and disclaims any and all liability, including direct, consequential, indirect and punitive damages, arising from a breach of health record confidentiality resulting from my sharing or losing my Password.
If OHSU discovers that I have misused or abused my MyChart access privileges in any way, including acting as a Proxy, OHSU may discontinue my participation in and access to MyChart, without prior notice.
OHSU does not assume any responsibility for misuse of MyChart services used by authorized persons.
MyChart may not be available at all times due to system failures, back-up procedures, maintenance, or other causes beyond the control of OHSU. Access is provided on an "as-is, as-available" basis and OHSU does not guarantee access to MyChart at any particular time. During times when MyChart is unavailable, please use other communication methods (e.g., telephone) to reach your OHSU health care provider.
ALL INFORMATION IN MYCHART IS PROVIDED “AS IS” AND WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. OHSU SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ALL EXPRESS AND IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING WARRANTIES OF TITLE, ACCURACY, NON-INFRINDGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND WARRANTY AGAINST INTERFERENCE WITH YOUR OPERATION OR ENJOYMENT OF THE SERVICES. OHSU DOES NOT PROVIDE ANY WARRANTY REGARDING THE SECURITY OR AVAILABILITY OF THE SERVICES OR THE SERVICE PORTAL, THAT THE SERVICES ARE FREE FROM ERROR, OR WITH REGARD TO THE ACCURACY OR COMPLETENESS OF ANY INFORMATION PRESENTED DURING YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES.
I UNDERSTAND THAT OHSU TAKES NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR AND DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL LIABILITY (INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, AND PUNITIVE DAMAGES) ARISING FROM ANY INACCURACIES OR DEFECTS IN SOFTWARE, COMMUNICATION LINES, VIRTUAL PRIVATE NETWORK, THE INTERNET OR MY INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER (ISP), ACCESS SYSTEM, COMPUTER HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE, OR ANY OTHER SERVICE OR DEVICE THAT I USE TO ACCESS MYCHART.
I UNDERSTAND THAT IF I DOWNLOAD OR OTHERWISE TAKE INFORMATION FROM MYCHART THAT THAT INFORMATION IS NOW IN MY POSSESSION AND I AM SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR MAINTAINING THE INFORMATION IN ANY MANNER I SEE IT. OHSU IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INFORMATION I DOWNLOAD OR OTHERWISE SHARE FROM MYCHART.
When you accept and comply with these Terms and Conditions, you receive a free, limited, non-exclusive and non-transferrable, personal, non-commercial license to use MyChart in accordance with these Terms and Conditions, as amended from time to time.